The Centers for Disease Control has advised people to take precautions in light of the COVID-19 virus outbreak and noted that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Therefore, effective immediately, per order of Chief Judge Sippel effective September 15, 2020, the following restrictions on entering any courthouse in the Eastern District of Missouri apply:
THE COURTHOUSE IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, WITH THE FOLLOWING PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY RESTRICTIONS:
• Persons must not have COVID or COVID symptoms (fever, cough, etc.) nor any contact with such persons for the previous two weeks;
• Persons must have a temperature reading of below 100.0 degrees. For purposes of building entry, fever may be monitored by automated thermometers at entry;
• Persons must wear masks or face coverings and observe social distancing in all courthouse common areas;
• Judges or agency heads may enforce additional limits within their respective spaces.
ALTHOUGH THE COURTHOUSE IS NOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, EVERY COURT OR AGENCY IN THE COURTHOUSE REMAINS AVAILABLE FOR REMOTE SERVICES TO THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO CONDUCT IN-PERSON BUSINESS:
• For those whose conditions do not allow them to conduct business in the courthouse in person, each agency will provide contact information so that your concerns may be addressed to that particular agency;
• If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney;
• If you are an attorney scheduled to appear in Bankruptcy Court before a bankruptcy judge, or have other business with the Bankruptcy Court, please contact that chambers directly or contact the Bankruptcy Court Clerk's Office at 314-244-4500, or refer to the Court's website at www.moeb.uscourts.gov/contact. Persons needing to file documents in person may drop them in the Bankruptcy drop box in the lobby;
• For U.S. Trustee matters, including §341 meeting of creditors, please contact the U.S. Trustee at 314-539-2976;
• If you are an attorney scheduled to appear in District Court before a district or magistrate judge, or have other business with the District Court, please contact that chambers directly or contact the Clerk's Office at 314-244-7900, or refer to the Court's website www.moed.uscourts.gov for clerk’s office and chambers contact information. Persons needing to file documents in person but needing to preserve social distancing may drop District Court filings in the District Court drop box on the 3rd floor of the Courthouse. Self-represented litigants (SRLs) can also file cases by e-mail during this time to: MOED_SRL_Filings@moed.uscourts.gov. For further information on District Court practices during this time, please refer to the District Court’s COVID-19 Information Center at: https://www.moed.uscourts.gov/sites/moed/files/COVID-19-FAQ.pdf.
• If you are in Cape Girardeau or dealing with a matter concerning the Limbaugh Courthouse,
please contact the Cape divisional office at 573-331-8800; if there is no response please contact
the main District Clerk's Office in St. Louis at 314-244-7900;
• For U.S. Marshal’s Service matters, please call the main line at 314-539-2212 (or 573-986-4747 for Cape);
These restrictions will remain in place temporarily until it is determined to be safe to remove them. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
If you have any questions as to this policy please contact Clerk of Court Dana McWay at email or 314-244-4500.